Tuesday 26 May, 2015 19:18
The listeners have spoken and we have listened! The Movie Matters Podcast is ramping up its coverage of all things giallo, starting with this double feature exploring the films of Lucio Fulci. Join Lee Howard and Michael Mackenzie as they examine two of the Godfather of Gore’s most distinctive contributions to the genre: 1969’s erotic melodrama ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER (a.k.a. PERVERSION STORY), starring Jean Sorel, Elsa Martinelli and Marisa Mell, and 1977’s tale of psychic paranoia MURDER TO THE TUNE OF THE SEVEN BLACK NOTES (a.k.a. THE PSYCHIC or SEVEN NOTES IN BLACK), starring Jennifer O’Neill, Marc Porel and Gianni Garko.
This episode also includes an overview of the conventions of the more erotically charged gialli epitomised by ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER, and contributions from a range of listeners and giallo connoisseurs.
The music in this episode is sampled from ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER by Riz Ortolani and MURDER TO THE TUNE OF THE SEVEN BLACK NOTES by Franco Bixio, Fabio Frizzi and Vince Tempera.
Links for reference:
- Giallo categories breakdown and giallo master list by Leonard Jacobs
- Giallo Fever — Keith Hennessey Brown’s blog
- Michael’s ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER version comparison
- DON’T TORTURE A DUCKLING Blu-ray screen captures at Lovelockandload
- Not the Special Edition — Movie Matters listener Miles Hamer’s new podcast
- Buy Blood and Black Lace: The Definitive Guide to Italian Sex and Horror Movies by Adrian Luther Smith
- Buy So Deadly, So Perverse: 50 Years of Italian Giallo Films (Volume 1) by Troy Howarth — Hemlock Books (UK), Amazon.com (USA)
- Pre-order Beyond Terror: The Films of Lucio Fulci by Stephen Thrower
- Splintered Visions: Lucio Fulci and His Films — Facebook page for Troy Howarth’s upcoming book